MIT created Risk Management & Compliance Services (RMCS) to develop and implement a framework that guides members of the MIT community in taking informed risks. Leveraging existing risk management models and identifying areas where such processes can be enhanced, we assist administrators, central offices, and academic and research departments, labs, and centers (DLCs), as well as individual members of the MIT community in incorporating MIT-appropriate risk management into their Institute activities.
Risk Management & Compliance Services Activities
- Assess MIT’s risks and opportunities
- Coordinate approaches to emerging risks
- Educate to inform our community
"We provide an important resource for those who want a better understanding of how to recognize and appropriately accept and manage risk in their MIT activities."
- Deborah L. Fisher, Institute Risk Officer
The types of risks on a campus like MIT’s range from the safety and security of the members of our community to financial risks and privacy. We work closely with departments across the Institute that are involved in risk assessment and risk management to coordinate efforts and provide a synergistic service to MIT.
Key roles performed by Risk Management & Compliance Services:
- Work with MIT’s Risk Council to create and foster a comprehensive system of Institute-wide risk recognition, acceptance, mitigation, and management.
- Develop as a resource to administrators, central offices, and academic and research DLC heads, as well as to MIT community members seeking to understand and manage risks in MIT activity.
- Educate the MIT community on risk management framework and assessment techniques.